Wood craft cutouts offer a unique way to decorate and even create fun DIY projects around the house. From coasters to bookends, there are tons of interesting ways to put unfinished wood cutouts to good use. But if you’ve never worked with wood cutouts before, you may feel a little apprehensive about diving in. Don’t worry! We’re here to help you get started and teach you everything you’ll need to know to get started and improve your woodworking skills!
Before we launch into the good stuff, it’s important to note that you probably have a lot of questions about wood cutouts for crafts. For example, what are the most popular wood cutouts? Can you paint wood cutouts? How can you make wood cutouts stand up? Finally, where can you buy high-quality wood cutouts for your next DIY project?
In today’s guide, we will answer all these questions and much more, so let’s get started!
What is the best wood for cutouts?
If you’ve never worked with Baltic birch plywood, you’re in for a real treat. It is a superstar of the wood cutout world! Not only is Baltic birch plywood stronger than your average wood, but it's also more stable. That means is less likely to warp or twist like more brittle plywood alternatives, keeping your cutouts looking perfect for years to come.
And the smoothness? It's like butter! The sleek, flat surface is perfect for detailed designs that require precision cutting and engraving. Plus, with its excellent strength-to-weight ratio, it's tough enough to withstand heavy use without being too heavy in your hands.
Baltic birch plywood is made from thin veneers of birch wood that are glued together, creating a strong and uniform panel. Due to the intricate manufacturing process, Baltic birch plywood has several advantages over other types of wood for wood cutouts. Here are just a few reasons why it makes for the best wood cutout material:
- Strength - Baltic birch plywood is known for its exceptional strength and durability.
- Consistency - Unlike other woods, Baltic birch has a consistent thickness and surface texture. This makes it easier to work with and ensures that your cuts and designs will be precise.
- Smooth Surface - Baltic birch plywood has a smooth surface that is also free of knots, which makes it ideal for intricate designs and detailed cutouts. Even the best-grade plywood will have some minor lines, spots, and filled-in voids, but Craft Grade Baltic birch plywood is completely knot-free and smooth to the touch.
- Versatility - It is easy to cut, shape, and sand, which makes it a versatile material that can be used for many different DIY projects.
- Eco-Friendly - Baltic birch plywood is made from sustainable birch trees. This means that the wood is responsibly sourced and environmentally friendly.
Popular wooden cutouts
So, you’re ready to take the plunge and get some wooden cutouts? Great! If you already know which kinds of cutouts you want, you can check out our wood cutout collection. Otherwise, read on to see some of the most popular wooden cutout themes, styles, and designs!
Holiday wood cutouts
Wooden holiday cutouts allow you to celebrate a wide range of annual festivities like Christmas and Thanksgiving. Do you want to display a cute bunny cutout for Easter? Say no more! Looking for some spooky pumpkin or ghost cutouts for Halloween? Not a problem! Or perhaps you need a romantic heart cutout for Valentine’s Day decorations? No matter what you’re looking for this holiday season, we’ve got the cutouts to help you make it even more special. We even have beautiful Hanukkah dreidels!
Wooden animal cutouts
Do you want something involving animals? If so, our wooden animal collection has tons of great options. You can decorate your home or even create a gift for a friend using adorable wooden animals. You can choose from tons of animal shapes, including a butterfly, bunny, dinosaur, cat, fish, horse, or elephant (just to name a few).
Wooden cutout shapes
Themed cutouts are great when you know exactly what you want to do. But what if you prefer something more simple — like a blank slate on which you can express your creativity? Look no further, as our wooden shapes collection has the perfect selection of stars, circles, squares, and much more! Be sure to check out our wooden discs for even more options!
Wood flower & tree cutouts
Do you love nature? Do you want to fill your house with beautiful trees and flowers that won’t require constant watering and upkeep? Then check out our wood flower and wood tree collections! These are perfect for artsy household decorations and art projects that can serve as a fun replacement for, or accompaniment to, traditional houseplants.
How to paint wood cutouts
Fortunately, if you really love to express yourself with painting, we offer hundreds of wood cutouts to paint and decorate. Painting wooden cutouts can be a fun and rewarding way to add color and personality to your crafts or home decor. Here are some expert tips and steps for painting wood cutouts:
- (Optional) Prime the Surface - Applying a coat of wood primer to the cutout is a great way to help the paint adhere better and prevent the wood from absorbing too much paint. However, Baltic birch plywood from Woodpeckers is not overly absorbent and is ready to paint right out of the box, so this step is completely optional. If you do decide to use primer, make sure to allow the primer to dry completely before proceeding to the next step.
- Apply Paint - Apply a coat of paint to the wood cutout using a brush or foam roller. You will typically not need more than one coat, but if you do want multiple coats of paint, make sure to allow the first coat to dry completely before applying a second coat. Repeat as necessary until you achieve the desired level of coverage.
- Add Details - Once the base coat is dry, you can add details or designs to your wood cutout using acrylic paints, markers, or other art supplies.
- Seal the Surface - Apply a clear sealer to the wood cutout to protect the paint and give it a glossy or matte finish. You can use a brush or spray-on sealer. Allow the sealer to dry completely before handling the wood cutout.
How to make wood cutouts stand up
Unless you have a specific plan for your cutouts that doesn’t require them to look three-dimensional, you’ll probably want to have them stand up. Easier said than done, right? Wrong! With some simple cutout stands, you can create beautiful displays with your newly-created art. If you get your stands from us, you can choose either 3-inch or 5-inch cutout stands!
Alternatively, you can make DIY stands using your own designs. However, unless you’re very experienced with woodworking, you may find the DIY method a bit complex and time-consuming. If you do want to create a stand on your own, just remember to use a strong adhesive and make sure your stand is sturdy enough to support the weight of your cutout!
Did you enjoy our wood cutouts guide? Be sure to let us know in the comments and check out our wood cutouts shop to find the perfect gift for yourself or a loved one!