Prepare to learn everything you’ve ever wanted to know about wooden balls! Not only are they a great canvas on which to express your creativity, but they also make excellent homemade decorations. Why? Because in the world of wooden balls, the only limit is your imagination!
Today, we’re going to guide you and help you learn everything you need to know to craft and decorate with wooden balls. And the best part? There’s no experience required! Whether you’ve been doing DIY wood ball projects for years or you want to get into wood decor balls for the first time, we have the knowledge and expertise to help you begin your journey.
But let’s get straight to the important stuff. If you’re here, you likely have one or two questions about using wooden balls in your own projects. For instance, is there a certain type of wood that should be used for decorative wooden balls? What are the best types of wooden ball ornaments? Finally, where can you acquire high-quality wooden balls to get started ASAP?
In today’s guide, we will answer all of these questions and more, so let’s get started!
Type of wooden balls
Wooden balls can fall into a wide range of categories, but the term generally refers to any kind of wooden sphere. When it comes to DIY arts and crafts, there are a few popular types of wooden craft balls you’ll want to know about:
Round wooden balls
Round wooden balls are the standard you’ll find in many craft stores. However, it’s important to remember that not all round wooden balls are created equal. Some are made from cheaper wood materials, which can cause them to split or crack. This is why it is best to choose a high-quality wood like birch when shopping for wooden balls. Birch wooden balls are made to last and are great for a variety of DIY projects, from Christmas tree ornaments to custom drawer pulls.
Split wooden balls
Split wooden balls are the same shape as round wooden balls — only they’ve been split in half! These half wooden balls are a great alternative to round wooden balls, especially if functionality or spacing is a concern. For example, if you want to feature wood spheres on a flat surface, it would be easier to glue or secure the flat side of half wooden balls to the surface, as opposed to gluing whole wooden balls. Additionally, if you want to get the same aesthetic appeal while taking up half of the available real estate, split wooden balls are a great option!
Wooden balls with holes - AKA wooden beads
Why spend the time and effort drilling holes in your wooden balls when you can just buy predrilled wooden beads instead? Wooden balls with holes drilled straight through them are one of the most versatile options for DIY woodworkers. They work especially well when making accessories. For example, you can turn just a few small wooden balls into a necklace, bracelet, or even a macrame accessory!
How to use wooden balls for crafting
We’ve already mentioned a few fun ways to put wooden balls to good use, but we’ve only scratched the surface. With different sizes and styles to choose from, wooden balls offer you a great way to turn your latest crafting projects into beautiful displays with symmetry and aesthetic consistency. Here are a just few popular ways to use wooden balls for crafting:
- Game Pieces - Using game pieces you made yourself is the perfect way to make game night even more fun! Impress friends and family alike with your superior crafting skills as you call “checkmate” with your very own chess pieces. But even if chess isn’t your cup of tea, you can still turn small wooden balls into fun miniatures for hundreds of different board games. Wooden balls, half balls, and beads can all be made into unique characters, tokens, or tactile markers for popular game boards or even tabletop games of your own making.
- Ornaments - The holidays give you a perfect excuse to dust off your crafting skills and adorn your home with beautiful, DIY decorations. You can decorate your wooden balls with festive colors, bells, ribbons, or anything that helps you get into the holiday spirit. If you want to get your kids involved, wooden crafting balls are also the perfect way to turn a dull December afternoon into a family crafting day full of snowmen, angels, and other ornaments that can be enjoyed for years to come!
- Split-Ball Projects - Why spend a fortune on expensive decorations when you can make custom items from the comfort of your own home? Split balls work well because they can be adhered to a flat surface. This means you can use them to decorate picture frames, mirrors, and even accent walls — just to name a few!
Wooden balls for decor
Wooden balls can serve as a fun accent to your existing home decor. If you just want them to look great with minimal intervention, you might consider a decorative vase filled to the brim with wooden balls. But if you prefer more “hands-on” projects, you can use wooden balls or beads to make decorative garlands, miniatures, curtain tiebacks, or tassels!
And these are just some of the options for smaller wooden balls (as small as ¼” in diameter). If you need to make something a little sturdier, like a decorative furniture leg, you’ll want to size up your wooden ball game to something a bit more substantial. And if you shop at Woodpeckers, you can get large wooden balls that are up to 4” in diameter. Talk about having a size for every occasion!
Wood ball finials and dowel caps
Wooden balls don’t have to be all about creating completely new decorations. They can also add a bit of polish to existing crafts or even furniture restoration projects. Wooden ball finials and dowel caps allow you to combine the beauty and symmetry of wooden spheres with useful add-ons like tenons (a wooden protrusion that can be inserted into a matching mortise) and holes that only have one opening on the ball (for dowel caps). Here are just a few ways to put these unique variations on the classic wooden ball to good use:
- Wooden fixtures - If you want to add something special to curtain rods, stair balusters, bedposts, cabinets, or accommodating fixtures in your home, wooden finials or dowel caps are a great option. Not only can you pick from various styles and sizes, but you can also customize each piece to make sure it fits snugly and matches the look of your home.
- DIY projects - Are you working on a dollhouse, birdhouse, jewelry box, or similar project that can be enhanced with wooden decorations? If so, finials and dowel caps offer the perfect way to make your DIY endeavor really stand out. They can act as little spires on a child’s playhouse or simply decorative handles on a tray table!
- Decorative accents - Even if you’re not undertaking a restoration or DIY crafting project, you can still decorate your home with fun and unique accents. Each finial or dowel cap can add a touch of sophistication to your home. From placing them on light fixtures or simply using them as freestanding decorations on mantelpieces, these little creations can really make an eye-catching difference to visitors!
Did you enjoy our wooden balls guide? Be sure to check out our wooden balls shop to find the perfect gift for yourself or a loved one!